Epoxy resin is one of the versatile materials, and that makes it a popular choice for art and craft. You can accent your furniture, make cool ornaments and jewelry, make DIY art and craft, etc. It is fun to work with it, and most of the people don’t know how to use resin. If you are a DIY lover, then resin is something you must give a try, and you will love to work with it. Resin is in a liquid state that hardens when cured. You can pour it into the molds and shapes you want to design. People who have never used resin [เร ซิ่น, which are the term in Thai] can have some questions in their mind, about how to use it, so here is our quick guide to help find answers for it.
What can you create using Resin?
- Molds and decorative items: – You can prepare a sculpture, figures, molds, and other decorative items using resin.
- Jewelry: – Making jewelry from resin is fun; you can use dried flowers and leaves to make them unique and astonishing. Resin rings and pendants are of the popular choices of resin jewelry.
- Preserve items: – If you want to preserve your precious things like flowers gifted on special occasions or precious gifts, then you can fix them inside the resin and shield them.
- Coated items: – Resin can offer great coating for items like a wooden table. You can add a protective layer that is water and scratch resistant offering smooth and glossy surface.
- Paintings: – You can create a marbleized art using resin infused with your paints and colors.
Types of equipment you need when working with Resin
You need a catalyst or hardener to cure the resin, rubber gloves, mixing equipment. Silicone molds or you can make customized molds using silicone rubber.
How to work with Resin?
There are different ways to work with resin that depends on the applications and end product you need. But in most of the art and craft, the resin is mixed with the hardener to cure it. Molds made up of silicone material are best suited when working with resin as they do not stick with resin. Resin is clear in color and takes 24 hours to cure completely.